The first project we had this past semester in my “Advanced Construction Methods” class was a tailored jacket. It definitely was the most difficult project I have completed to date. I used a Vogue pattern for the first time. I liked it, but it definitely lived up to its Vogue reputation: having lots of pattern pieces and lots of detail. We had to choose a wool fabric because that tailors the best (it really holds the shape you manipulate). It took us a month, but I really learned a lot, and now really understand why a good, well-fitted, quality jacket/blazer is the price-point it is.
This is the inside of the lapels. That whitish fabric is called “horse-hair canvas” and it is a very rough, stiff type of interfacing used in jackets to help shape the lapels and collar. It was hand sewn to the under collar every 1/4th of an inch and this alone took me a good 16 hours. Talk about a labor of love.
We had to make our own shoulder-pads.
The inside is lined with a pink rayon.
Jacket: Vogue Pattern, Necklace: New York and Company, Skirt: Old Navy, Shoes: Target
**If you are visiting from the WIW Sunday link-up, welcome, and stop by again soon! :)**